Meeting Date: May 28, 2014
Minutes Prepared By: Bruce Dyke
James Barnard – Town of Barnstead - Selectman
Betsy Bosiak – Town of Epsom – Selectman
Barbara Clark – Town of Epsom
Bruce Dyke - Chichester Town Organization Committee
Shaun Mulholland – Town of Allenstown – Town Administrator
Gordon Preston – Town of Barnstead - Selectman
Location: Town of Epsom – Town Office Conference Room
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm by Bruce Dyke
2. A motion was made by Betsy Bosiak to accept the minutes from the March 19, 2014 meeting as presented and was seconded by Jim Barnard. Minutes were approved as written with a unanimous vote.
3. The group discussed the current status of the Group Health Insurance Cooperative Agreement and the most recent efforts specific to the Town of Allenstown’s Employee Benefit Study Committee with the following being noted:
- Discussions are well underway with Interlocal Trust, Healthtrust and SchoolCare specific to options for Healthplans to be considered by the towns.
- Two proposals have been received and the remaining proposal should be received shortly.
- The overall process has been ahead of schedule to this point.
- Regular participation by the SVRTA member towns currently in the healthcare group arrangement has been good.
- The goal is to have a final presentation ready for review by all SVRTA towns no later than the end of August, with the SVRTA meeting sometime in July to make a recommendation to be presented.
The group discussed the best option(s) for providing information to the SVRTA towns given the fact that their will be a substantial amount of data to review and this issue of health care plans can be complex. Although not finalized, the group is considering arranging a joint meeting of all Boards of Selectmen for Allenstown, Barnstead, Chichester, Epsom, Pittsfield and Strafford in late August in order to ensure the overall intiative and various proposals can be clearly and consistently communicated with all towns having a chance to ask questions and ensure everyone is on “the same page.”
In addition to the joint BoS meeting noted above, it’s expected that employee meetings in each of the towns may be warranted to explain the goal of this initiative, review plan options being considered and obtain feedback for the respective BoS to consider.
On a related topic, Gordon Preston shared a copy of a letter from Barnstead’s Board of Selectmen to the NH Bureau of Security Regulation. The letter raises an objection to HealthTrust’s plan to only distribute funds for the next planned disbursement of $13.9 million dollars to towns who are members of HealthTrust at the time such disbursement takes place (this disbursement is specific to the Court order involving excess surplus retention). A copy of the letter will be included with these meeting minutes for review. It was suggested that other SVRTA member towns consider writing a similar letter to the Bureau of Security Regulation as this could impact the group in the event we move away from HealthTrust in favor of an alternative health plan.
4. The topic of Workers Comp, General Liability and Unemployment insurance was discussed. Gordon Preston noted that Barnstead recently switched to Primex for coverage which resulted in a material cost savings. The towns of Pittsfield, Pembroke and Epsom have also recently switched to Primex which resulted in cost savings.
7. The date for the next meeting will be Wednesday, June 25, 2014 at 7pm and will
be hosted by the Town of Allenstown (exact meeting location to be announced later).
8. The group thanked Jim Barnard for his involvement in and support of the SVRTA for the last couple years and wished him well as he relocates out of the area.
9. A motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Betsty Bosiak and seconded by Jim Barnard. The meeting adjourned at 7:50pm.