Suncook Valley Regional Town Association
Meeting Date: October 30, 2013
Minutes Prepared By: Bruce Dyke
James Barnard – Town of Barnstead - Selectman
Betsy Bosiak – Town of Epsom – Selectman
Bruce Dyke - Chichester Town Organization Committee
David Jodoin – Town of Pembroke – Town Administrator
Mike Paveglio – Town of Chichester - Selectman
Gordon Preston – Town of Barnstead - Selectman
Paul Vince – Town of Barnstead – Resident Representative
Location: Town of Epsom – Town Hall Conference Room
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:05pm by Bruce Dyke
2. A motion was made by Gordon Preston to accept the minutes from the August 27, 2013 meeting as presented and was seconded by Jim Barnard. Minutes were approved by a vote of 4 “yes” and 2 “abstention”.
3. The group proposal specific to 2013 town reporting printing was reviewed. Quotes were received from two of the seven vendors contacted regarding the RFP. Those vendors were RC Brayshaw and Select Print Solutions. The group reviewed the quotes and noted that RC Brayshaw appeared to have omitted Allenstown from their response. Bruce is going to follow-up with the vendor to determine if that was intentional or just an oversight. Overall, the quoted prices from Select Print seemed quite favorable. Each town’s Select Board will now review the proposals and make individual determinations as to how they choose to proceed. Bruce will contact both vendors thanking them for their proposals and advising of the current status.
4. The group discussed the current status of the Group Health Insurance Cooperative Agreement. It was noted that rates for 2014 were recently released by Healthtrust and represented an average 11.4% increase for the SVRTA towns, which was about 2% higher than the “Under 100” pool managed by Healthtrust. This was the first year in the last five where the SVRTA has not seen a rate increase lower than the under 100 pool. Other topics noted included:
- LGC appears to be reorganizing per the Court Order
- The composition of the various LGC Boards is still very narrow and doesn’t seem to include subject matter experts in all the right areas.
- Each town received a letter from HealthTrust looking for nominees for open Board positions.
- No interest is being paid to towns where re-imbursements from Healthtrust are due. The status of the lawsuit from other towns who had left Healthtrust prior to the Court judgment and who are seeking reimbursement is unknown.
- Healthtrust has been with Anthem Blue Cross since 1989 and hasn’t done and competitive bidding regarding the health insurance plans over that time.
- As a result of the new healthcare law, health insurance plans will be “graded” and those deemed as “Cadillac” plans will be subject to tax.
- The Town of Allenstown has formed a committee to study potential alternatives to their healthcare insurance and will involve the SVRTA at a later point.
5. Gordon indicated that he had a discussion with one of the attorney’s involved with the lawsuit against LGC/Healthtrust who would like to attend a future SVRTA meeting to better understand our arrangement and past dealings with Healthtrust. He will be invited to our December meeting (Gordon will contact him).
6. Betsy discussed upcoming outreach sessions with the Central NH Regional Planning Commission and her recent discussion with a member of that group who would like to attend a future SVRTA meeting. That will likely be included in the January, 2014 meeting.
7. The topic of Fire Department consolidations was briefly discussed as something that continues to be a potential option for smaller towns who are struggling to find volunteers and are coping with increased call volume.
8. The date for the next meeting will be Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 7pm and will be hosted by the Town of Barnstead (exact location TBD).
9. A motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Betsy Bosiak and seconded by Mike Paveglio. The meeting adjourned at 8:35pm.