Suncook Valley Regional Town Association
Meeting Date: March 27, 2013
Minutes Prepared By: Bruce Dyke
In Attendance: Jim Barnard - Town of Barnstead – Selectman
Betsy Bosiak – Town of Epsom - Selectman
Bruce Dyke – Chichester Town Organization Committee
David Jodoin – Town of Pembroke – Town Administrator
Gerard LeDuc – Town of Pittsfield – Selectman
Paul Vince – Town of Barnstead – Resident Rep.
Steve Leighton – Town of Strafford - Selectman
Sandra McKenney – Town of Allenstown – Selectman
Location: Town of Barnstead – Fire Dept Conference Room
Minutes Approved: TBA
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:15pm by Bruce Dyke
2. The draft minutes of the February 20, 2013 meeting were reviewed and comments/changes were solicited. A motion was made by Sandy McKenney to accept the minutes as written and seconded by Jim Barnard. The minutes were approved without further discussion by a unanimous vote.
3. The group followed-up on discussions that occurred during the last meeting specific to the health insurance cooperative agreement which was renewed with LGC last fall. Paul Vince provided a summary to the group of the LGC Health Trust public hearing held on March 7, 2013 which he and Gordon Preston attended. A copy of the formal meeting presentation was provided to the group and the following key items were discussed:
- LGC HealthTrust covers approximately 46,000 individuals
- 300 Risk pools are managed by LGC, broken into 2 groups (rated in Jan and July respectively).
- Of the 137 Risk Pools that are rated in July (SVRTA is one of them), 47 are combination groups and 46 are in the under 100 pool.
- LGC was asked by Gordon Preston why they don’t rate then entire group of 46k people as a single group. They indicated that had been done once in the past and didn’t provide favorable rates, but said they would do that exercise again. Bruce will follow-up with LGC to determine when they will have those rating results.
- LGC indicated that managing combo groups such as the SVRTA was administratively intensive which is why they don’t want to support further adds to the group (or similar groups). This stance is met with skepticism by the SVRTA members who question how or why our arrangement is any different than that of the other 136 rating groups in the July rate pool and find the LGC position to be very weak.
Paul provided additional information regarding key items he identified during his review of the Court ruling/decision specific to LGC’s issues with their management of the municipal health insurance program.
Bruce also provided a follow-up to a question from the last meeting concerning whether the SVRTA towns had to sign a new Health Insurance Cooperative agreement every two years, which he confirmed is not the case, as the first term’s agreement was sufficient and is referenced in the bi-annual LGC agreements signed by each town.
4. The group review initial results regarding the survey of vendors used for maintenance and inspections of safety vehicle and heavy equipment. As data from a couple towns was still missing, the amount of discussion/review was limited and will be re-visited during the next meeting when all data is available. On a related topic, David Jodoin suggested that once the data is collected, a specific review meeting involving the town’s Fire Chiefs may be beneficial in order to discuss options for group RFPs and common contract terms that may be negotiated.
5. The group also discussed data collected from each SVRTA town specific to 2012 Town Printing expenses. Again, some data was still pending, but overall analysis didn’t show too much variance on the average cost per report among towns. However, it was suggested that a group proposal for printing of the 2013 town reports be drafted and pricing solicited from local vendors during the fall.
6. David Jodoin noted that Pembroke’s zoning or planning boards may be approving the construction of a Natural Gas filling station along Route 3 (by Associated Grocers). That could have potential benefits for future town vehicles that could run on that fuel type.
7. Jim Barnard suggested that the group look at the potential of doing a group proposal specific to propane fuel. Bruce will solicit total estimated usage by town for review at the next meeting.
8. The date for the next meeting will be Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 7pm and will be hosted at the Chichester Grange Hall, Main St. in Chichester.
9. A motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Betsy Bosiak and seconded by David Jodoin and passed unanimously by the group. The meeting adjourned at 8:40pm.