Meeting Date: September 22, 2011
Minutes Prepared By: Bruce Dyke
Robert Blodget - Town of Epsom - Selectman
Bruce Dyke – Chichester Town Organization Committee
David Jodoin – Town of Pembroke – Town Administrator
David Kerr – Town of Barnstead – Selectman
Sandra McKenney – Town of Allenstown – Selectman
Location: Chichester Grange Hall
Minutes Approved: TBA
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:10pm by Bruce Dyke
2. The draft minutes of the June 15, 2011 meeting were reviewed and comments/changes were solicited. A motion was made by Sandy McKenney to accept the minutes as presented and seconded by David Jodoin. The minutes were approved without further discussion by a unanimous vote.
3. The group discussed the current status of the proposal received from Glacial Energy specific to discounted electric rates. At the time the proposal was made, only SVRTA towns that used PSNH were eligible to participate. At this point, the Town of Pembroke is interested in participating, Allenstown is already in the program (unclear if both the town offices and water/sewer plant are included) and Barnstead is considering it. The Town of Pittsfield had the largest potential savings based on the earlier analysis, but their status with this program is not known (Bruce was going to follow-up with them). At this point, each interested town should work directly with Glacial Energy to execute necessary contracts if interested in proceeding.
4. The heating oil group rate project was also discussed. Requests on behalf of the SVRTA were sent to nine different, local oil providers and three quotes were received. The most attractive quote came from Fuller Oil who offered two options (a pre-buy at $3.199 or capped price option not to exceed $3.499.
5. David Kerr provided an update on Barnstead’s on-going effort to outsource their police department. The most recent proposal from the Belknap County Sheriffs office didn’t reflect a significant level of savings, but negotiations continue. The Board of Selectmen are debating whether to make a decision unilaterally or to bring the matter to a vote during town meeting once final options are defined. It was noted that other towns in the area may also be good candidates to participate in a regionalized, outsourced arrangement for their respective PDs.
6. Sandy asked if the group had ever investigated a potential group/bulk purchase of fire fighter turn-out gear. Although that topic has been raised in prior years, the group has never formally pursued anything. It was unclear which brand of gear each town used, but it’s believed there are a couple different brands currently deployed. Sandy was going to speak with Allenstown’s Fire Chief to see if he would be willing to coordinate a project to look at options in this area.
7. It was decided to table any discussion regarding 2012 budget planning as that process is just getting underway in most of the towns and it was too early to have any meaningful discussion in that area.
8. The group discussed ideas for improving the level of communication and follow-up among the group between meetings. It was suggested that the SVRTA e-mail distribution list be expanded to include all Town Administrator’s and that each TA be asked to include an SVRTA status update agenda item on an upcoming Board of Selectmen meeting that occurs after each SVRTA meeting. As part of this discussion, the issue of Northwood’s status with the group was also raised, as they do not regularly attend meetings. Bruce is going to follow-up with their Town Administrator to see if they wish to continue their participation in the group.
9. Sandy asked for input as to what each town is using for their web hosting in terms of web software and/or providers. Each attendee was going to send info to Sandy regarding that issue.
10. David Kerr mentioned that the Town of Barnstead was starting the process of renegotiating their Cable Franchise Agreement with Metrocast. He indicated that they had been approached by a (Laconia based?) organization that may be helping multiple towns with this task. Each town was going to send copies of their most recent agreements to David for their reference during the process.
11. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at 7pm, at the Allenstown Police Department.
12. A motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Bruce Dyke and seconded by Bob Blodgett and passed unanimously by the group. The meeting adjourned at 8:25pm.