Suncook Valley Regional Town Association
Meeting Date: July 28, 2010
Minutes Prepared By: Bruce Dyke
In Attendance: Jim Barnard – Town of Barnstead – Selectman
Bruce Dyke – Chichester Town Organization Committee
Stephanie Gray – Town of Strafford - Selectman
Jeff Jordon – Town of Chichester – Selectman
Allen Mayville – Chichester Town Organization Committee
Ed Vien – Town of Pittsfield – Selectman
Joanne Randall – Town of Epsom – Selectman
Paul Skowron – Town of Pittsfield - Town Administrator
Location: Pittsfield Town Hall
Minutes Approved: October 21, 2010
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 by Bruce Dyke
2. The draft minutes of the June 17, 2010 meeting were reviewed and comments/changes were solicited. A motion was made by Ed Vien to accept the minutes as presented and seconded by Jim Barnard. The minutes were unanimously approved without further discussion.
3. Bruce provided the group with a summary of the current situation regarding the cooperative agreement between the SVRTA towns, which is set to expire at the end of this year:
- Each town should have received an illustration from LGC over the past week, which shows the impact on the current cooperative arrangement for 2010, if the town of Allenstown had been included in the group at the start of this year. The illustration shows that each of the current, six towns in the cooperative agreement would have has rates approx. 1.1% higher that current rates and Allenstown’s rates would have declined by 15% (which is consistent with what the original six towns saw during the first year of this arrangement). It was noted that Allenstown’s claims history doesn’t appear to be extraordinary, given the minimal impact on the overall group’s rates.
- Each SVRTA town that wishes to renew the cooperative health insurance arrangement (which would like include Allenstown) needs to send another “letter of intent” to LGC no later than August 16th. Bruce will send sample verbiage for the letter to each town for their reference.
- LGC will provide rates for 2011 sometime in mid/late October, at which time the SVRTA towns may “opt-out” of the arrangement, but in doing so would preclude them from obtaining health insurance coverage from LGC for two years.
- In the event multiple towns decided to “opt-out” of the cooperative arrangement after receiving 2011 rates and the size of the cooperative pool of eligible employees falls below 100, LGC will honor the arrangement for 2011 only.
4. Bruce provided the group with a status of the health insurance plan analysis proposed by Melcher & Prescott:
- Seven of the eight SVRTA towns have elected to participate in the analysis and Bill Bald from M&P will be sending specific contracts to each town, which will reflect the apportioned fee agreed two by the SVRTA towns (based on the number of employees currently receiving town health benefits).
- Each of the towns should execute the M&P contract as soon as possible in order to provide the vendor with adequate time to complete their work and present their report to the group during the September meeting.
- Once the initial report is provided, individual towns could arrange for meetings with Bill Bald if necessary, which would be billed at a rate of $150/hr.
5. Bruce raised the issue of property and casualty insurance coverage options for the SVRTA towns and referenced a letter from an insurance agent that was received by the Town of Epsom and forwarded to the SVRTA for review. Since the potential for losing multi-policy discounts with LGC exists if the group decides to pursue a non-LGC health insurance package, Bruce suggested it may be advisable to investigate the options for property & casualty providers as well. Ed Vien noted that Melcher & Prescott may be able to offer similar coverage and Bruce said he’d follow-up with Bill Bald on that point. Overall, the group felt is was best to wait until the analysis was received from M&P, then decide if it makes sense to look at other potential options for property & casualty
7. The next meeting will be held Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 7pm. The meeting will be hosted by theTown of Barnstead (specific location to be determined).
8. A motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Bruce Dyke and seconded by Jim Barnard. The meeting adjourned at 7:30pm.