Chichester Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting
December 27, 2011
Members present: Richard DeBold, Jeff Jordan
Others Present: Nancy Tanner (Town Administrator), Steve MacCleery, Mike Williams, Ed Millette, John Martell, John Freeman, Bruce Dyke, Lisa Prizio, Lucille Noel, Doug Hall, John Amsden, approximately 10 members of the community were also present during the Library’s presentation.
Chairman DeBold opened the meeting at 7:00PM.
A public hearing was noticed and held regarding the acceptance of unanticipated Federal Grant funds in the amount of $21,800. The Park and Recreation Commission applied for this grant and will use the funds toward the creation of a multi-use recreational trail around the perimeter of Carpenter Park. The trail will be approximately 1 mile long, 6 feet wide and have stone dust path. Questions and comments from the public were entertained.
Mr. DeBold made a motion seconded by Mr. Jordan to accept and authorize the expenditure of the New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development grant in the amount of $21,800 to be used to offset the construction cost of a perimeter trail at Carpenter Park. Motion passes.
Lisa Prizio and Lucille Noel gave a presentation regarding the proposed meeting room at the Library. The Library Trustees have asked to include an article for this purpose on the warrant. They highlighted the need for the extra space. The $15,000 they are asking for will not be enough to finish the space, but it will be enough for them to meet the occupancy requirements and begin using the space. The cost estimate for the complete project is around $42,000. This figure includes materials and labor. The Trustees are hopeful this number will reduce with donated labor. The CIP committee pushed this project out because they felt the project was still evolving at the time of submission. The Trustees have raised enough funds on their own to do the floor. They will continue to raise funds to
offset the final cost of the project.
Jim was present to speak on his warrant articles. East Ricker Road was discussed. Jim feels that this road is a priority. There are water and icing issues on East Ricker Road. Jim also feels that Fred Wood is a priority. There was discussion about doing ½ of East Ricker and doing Fred Wood completely to include new asphalt. Jim feels this is not a good option and wants to do both projects as he presented them. There was discussion as to the condition of Fred Wood. The Road Advisory Committee will be finalizing their recommendations on January 9th. The Selectmen and the Budget Committee will meet after January 9th to make a final decision on the road warrant articles.
There was discussion on the warrant article for a new highway truck. This truck is a newer model of what we have now. Jim will be getting $12,500 in trade-in value on the 1 ton. Nancy will confirm the leasing details and dollar figures. The Selectmen and Budget Committee were in favor of this article except S. MacCleery.
The Selectmen and Budget Committee are in favor of the Perry Brook Road Article.
Ed Millette asked for the Fire Truck article to be moved up in the order. That decision was tabled.
The Budget Committee was not in favor of the Libraries articles as written and the Selectmen were split. They would like to see the funding for the roof fully out of the Capital Reserve Fund and the community room from taxation. They feel the roof is a need and the community room is a want. They want to see the CRF used on the roof. Mr. DeBold will meet with the Library Trustees to discuss.
Mr. Williams mentioned that he found a report by the US Energy Information Administration on the projection for fuel prices. The fuel prices previously established are in line with the report.
Comcast is now charging a $7/month rental for the modems. The budgets were increased accordingly. Nancy will look into buying modems.
Bruce Dyke asked if all the Budget Committee members and the Selectmen could take a close look at the budget and try to find an additional $40,000 in cuts to the operating budget. He would like to see a flat bottom line.
Preambulation: Pembroke asked about doing a preambualtion of the boundaries. The Selectmen are in favor of doing it. Nancy will contact Pembroke.
Emergency Procedures: Bernie Reinhart of the Historical Society asked if there could be a list of emergency contacts on display in the buildings that the town owns. Nancy will coordinate.
Food Pantry: Mr. DeBold made a motion seconded by Mr. Jordan to accept and authorize the expenditure of $100 received from Richard Makin for benefit of the food pantry. Motion passes.
Mr. DeBold made a motion seconded by Jordan to accept and authorize the expenditure of $200 from First Congregational Church of Pittsfield for benefit of the food pantry. Motion passes.
Accounts payable and payroll were approved.
A motion by Mr. DeBold and seconded by Mr. Jordan to adjourn the meeting at 10:10pm. Motion passes.
____________________________ _________________________ ________________________
Richard DeBold, Chairman D. Michael Paveglio Jeffrey Jordan