Chichester Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting
September 28, 2010
Members present: Jeffrey Jordan, Richard DeBold, Mike Paveglio
Others Present: Nancy Tanner (Town Administrator), Bruce Dyke, Jason Weir, Thomas Houle, Bette Bogdan, Ed Millette, Walter Sanborn, Barbara Frangione, Alan Mayville, Donna Chagnon, John Martell, Lucille Noel, Norm LaRochell, Scott Marsden, Steve MacCleery
Chairman Jordan opened the meeting at 7:00PM.
Mr. Paveglio provided a spreadsheet that he has been working on. The worksheet highlights the difference between actual and budgeted. Mr. Paveglio would like to see the proposed budgets based on dollars actually spent rather than what was budgeted. There was a brief discussion about Surplus. The Selectmen are considering a directive that equates to 3% above the 2009 actual expenditures. 2009 was chosen because we have complete year numbers.
Health Insurance costs were discussed. Bruce Dyke briefly reported on what the SVRTA is doing with insurance bids. We won’t have costs until possibly November.
There was a brief discussion on COLA – no decisions.
The justification forms were discussed. It was decided to require the forms with the same criteria as last year.
The directive will be to decrease the 2010 budget by 2%, which should equal a 3% increase of the 2009 actual spent.
Zoning: The Selectmen received a written concern from a citizen regarding the number of vehicles at a Route 4 residence. The Selectmen have asked Nancy to look into the situation and draft appropriate correspondence for next week’s meeting.
Tiernan: Mr. DeBold asked Nancy to draft a letter to Ms. Tiernan from the Selectmen regarding her concern about water on her property.
Accounts Payable: The Selectmen would like Nancy to ask Jim about a gravel purchase from a new vendor.
Media: Thomas Houle had questions about the recent article in the newspaper regarding a lawsuit against the Town. He has a list of questions for the Board. Nancy explained that the Selectmen have been advised not to discuss the pending litigation. Nancy agreed to take the questions to the attorney to see if they could be answered.
The questions asked included: what is the status of the lawsuit, when did Gilbert Vien make an initial complaint to the Selectmen of any code violation on the Safety Building, when was the radio grant written and applied for, how long did the Fire Department have possession of the radios prior to any complaint and when did Mr. Vien make his concerns of impropriety known to the Selectmen.
Nancy will follow-up.
Park and Rec: Mr. DeBold spoke on behalf of Park and Rec. As previously noted the committee has been working to secure grant funding. The funding needed would be anywhere from $100K-$120K and the grant would fund 50%. As part of the grant process the committee would need a letter of support from the Selectmen as well as a commitment to include a warrant article for the remaining funds for vote at Town Meeting. The actual warrant would be for much less than 50% as the committee continues to seek alternate funding including donations. The Selectmen are in support of pursuing the grant.
Pursuant to RSA 91-A:3 II(e), a motion was made by Mr. Paveglio and seconded by Mr. Jordan to enter into non-public session at 8:26 for the purpose of discussing a legal issue. A roll call vote was taken: Jordan – yea, DeBold – yea, Paveglio – yea. Motion passes.
Pursuant to RSA 91-A: 3, a motion was made by Mr. DeBold and seconded by Mr. Paveglio to exit the non-public session at 9:00pm. A roll call vote was taken: Jordan- yea, DeBold-yea, Paveglio -yea.
The minutes were sealed indefinitely.
Accounts payable and payroll were approved.
A motion by Mr. Paveglio and seconded by Mr. DeBold to adjourn the meeting at 9:11pm. Motion passes.
____________________________ ________ __________________ __________________________
Jeffrey Jordan, Chairman Richard DeBold D. Michael Paveglio