Chichester Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting
December 19, 2012
Members present: Mike Paveglio, Jeff Jordan, Richard DeBold
Budget Committee: Marlene Hammond, Norm LaRochelle, Steve MacCleery, Ed Millette, Don Peterman, Jason Weir, Mike Williams
Others present for all or part of the meeting: Nancy Tanner (Town Administrator), Steve Stock, Donna Chagnon, Thomas Houle, Andrea Deachman, Doug Hall, David Dobson, Stan Brehm, Terry McCormack, John Amsden, Jim Plunkett, Michele Plunkett, Richard Millette
Chairman Paveglio opened the meeting at 6:00pm.
Forestry: Warden Stock is asking for an additional $550. There was one large fire this year which was very costly. Not many Deputy Wardens were able to attend training this year. There was a discussion about the need to have a separate training line. The Warden also said that he was not able to buy any equipment this year. It was decided to break the forestry budget into 4 lines. The two lines to be added are Training Payroll and Mileage and one for Equipment. Warden Stock will decide how much money he needs in each line and communicate those numbers to Nancy.
The Warden’s warrant article was discussed. He is asking for radios that are programmed to talk with Forest and Lands, the Ranger, and the Fire Tower. Without these radios he can communicate with a cell phone or through dispatch.
Trustees of the Trust Funds: Andrea Deachman explained the MS-9 form. There was a discussion regarding the investments. We are now paying a firm to manage our investments for us, but the return is far greater than what we were receiving before. Through September we have earned over $11,000.
Road Advisory Committee: The Road Advisory Committee presented their report. The report is very thorough. It takes into account project costs for our highway department and cost to hire a contractor. The four warrant articles presented total $373,000 which is much higher than the CIP recommendation. The RAC explained the work they went through to arrive at the needed projects and cost. They have a plan for many years into the future not just 2013. If the Town does not stick with the prescribed plan it will surely fall behind and it will be difficult to “catch up”. The main question left was whether it would make sense to bond the projects for 2013 and then every year thereafter. Nancy will follow-up with Doug
Hall and the Bond Bank.
Wells: Mr. Paveglio informed the Budget Committee that there are residents that are still having salt issues, which may be a result of the problems caused by the Town many years ago. He said the Board is working on possible solutions for those involved and there will be a need for a warrant article in 2013.
Wells: The engineers’ proposal to continue work on the well issue was discussed. It was determined to contract with them for $2,550.
Highway: Nancy explained that Jim Plunkett had spoken with her earlier in the day about the need for a gate at the highway shed. The Selectmen agreed. Mr. Paveglio will contact Hannah West to have something in the paper letting residents know that the shed will be gated and sand will be available outside the gate.
Donations: Mr. Paveglio made a motion seconded by Mr. Jordan to make the requested donation of $2,899.00 to Community Action Program. Motion passed.
Mr. DeBold made a motion seconded by Mr. Jordan to make a requested donation to Red Cross in the amount of $500. Motion passed.
A motion by Mr. DeBold and seconded by Mr. Jordan to adjourn the meeting at 8:47. Motion passes.
Approved when signed
__________________________ _____________________ ________________________
D. Michael Paveglio, Chairman Jeffrey Jordan Richard DeBold